Duties & Responsibilities. The Managing Editor (ME) for Islamic Legal Studies Program (ILSP): SHARIAsource will manage the daily operations of the Program and Portal (SHARIAsource)—designed to collect and organize sources on Islamic law content and context in a way that is accessible and useful. For the Portal, the ME is responsible for supporting and managing (1) portal content and publication, (2) portal technology and development; and (3) program administration and communication. For the Program, the ME will manage the office and small staff; plan and organize events; be the principal administrative contact for internal and external program constituencies; implement and review policies as needed; anticipate and resolve problems, updating supervisor as needed. The ME is expected to work with minimal supervision in a work environment of multiple and conflicting priorities, and to collaborate with relevant individual and institutional stakeholders.
• Works collaboratively to solicit and publish new content on Islamic law through editing and a system of peer review on various outlets, including online (portal, blog, newsletter); print (books, occasional papers series, etc); and social media outlets; manages and grows the network of editors (scholars and students) and their contributionsPortal Technology Development
• Manages program content projects including: library digitization, editor and institutional collaboration, resource-building
• Works collaboratively with developers and various stakeholders to guide the development of tools, apps, and resources that facilitate the use and accessibility of research on Islamic lawAdministration & Communication
• Maintains the portal, and keeps it free from bugs
• Communication: Communicates SHARIAsource content generally and to the community of editors through online platforms (portal, blog, website), listserv, newsletter, social media, in-person meetings, and other venues as appropriate; special emphasis on building a community of editors engaged with the sitePerforms other duties as necessary
• Administration: Maintains the budget and accounting; assists in training, scheduling, and distributing work to other staff/temps, students/RAs, and editors; coordinates activities; performs other administrative duties, coordinating with other Program staff, as needed.
Basic Qualifications. Bachelor’s degree and five or more years of related experience in administrative, editorial and business/tech start-up environment.
Additional Qualifications. JD or other advanced degree (MA/MPP/MPA+) strongly preferred. Knowledge of Middle Eastern Studies and working knowledge of law preferred. Excellent organizational skills with particular ability to prioritize work in an environment with multiple and conflicting interests. Proven project/program management skills. Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills. Ability to work with minimal supervision and discreetly handle complex and confidential information. Proficiency with variety of software, ability to learn new ones and manage portal development based on program needs.
Additional Information. This is a term appointment currently expected to extend to one year from start date, subject to funding and departmental need. All offers to be made by HLS Human Resources. For more information and to apply, please visit: 44641BR: Managing Editor, SHARIAsource.