Monday, October 5, 2026

Thank you, Gautham Rao!

Thanks to guest blogger Gautham Rao (American University) for joining us for the month of September! 

Rao's posts focused on his recently released book, White Power: Policing American Slavery. An excerpt is available here. Rao's reflections on the long journey of writing the book are here. My favorite part of the post comes at the very end: 

My first foray into the ideas and sources that became this book happened at the University of Chicago in 2001. Twenty-five years later, and after a fairly unlikely series of events, the book was published. I’ve been doing lots of book events and I’ve been asked a few times: what’s my favorite part of the book? There are paragraphs and sections I really love, but the real answer is the acknowledgments, because in writing it I finally had license to remember the many, many people who helped make it a reality. It takes a village for some people. It took a small country for me.  

Stay tuned for future guest bloggers! We have some exciting ones in the pipeline...

-- Karen Tani