Thursday, December 18, 2014

Kolasky's "Trustbusters"

William Kolasky, a partner with the Washington, D.C. office of the law firm Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP and Deputy Assistant Attorney General for International Enforcement in the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice during the George W. Bush administration, has written a series of sketches on the history of antitrust in America, entitled "Trustbusters."  About a year ago we noted one; here, via Hughes Hubbard’s website, is the entire series:

Thurman Arnold: An American Original, 27 Antitrust 89 (Summer 2013)

Robert H. Jackson: How a "Country Lawyer" Converted Franklin Roosevelt into a Trustbuster, 27 Antitrust 85 (Spring 2013)

George Rublee and the Origins of the Federal Trade Commission, 26 Antitrust 106 (Fall 2011)

The Election of 1912:  A Pivotal Moment In Antitrust History, 25 Antitrust 82 (Summer 2011)

Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft:  Marching Toward Armageddon, 25 Antitrust 97 (Spring 2011)

Chief Justice Edward Douglass White and the Birth of the Rule of Reason, 24 Antitrust 77 (Summer 2010)

Senator John Sherman and the Origin of Antitrust, 24 Antitrust 85 (Fall 2009)

1 comment:

Shag from Brookline said...

During most of my legal career that began in 1954, I was a solo practitioner. I had a corporate client as a start up that grew requiring me to grow. I joined the ABA, but was not active in it. However, I joined particular sections that involved actual and potential areas of law that might apply to this client, relishing the literature in the publications of these Sections, including Antirust, to assist me in understanding areas of the law that were not emphasized in law school. For the most part, the articles in these publications were written by practicing attorneys, reflecting their time in the legal trenches. Yes, law review articles by academics were helpful in keeping me one step ahead of this client. But the thoughtful practitioners' writings were of more benefit in my practice. So I applaud Mr Kolasky and other practitioners for their writings based upon their actual experiences in assisting me to become a better lawyer.