When I started working on my second book,
Fear of the False: Forensic Science and the Law of Crime in Colonial South Asia, I created a course to help my research. Specifically, I designed an
undergraduate Legal Studies/History course called “History of Forensic Science”
(HFS). I’d like to use this 3rd guest post for August to reflect on
how and why this was such a valuable experience.More after the jump.
I don’t have a lot of flexibility
in my Law School teaching, as I must always teach a section of Contracts I for our
incoming 1L class at the University of Wisconsin Law School. However, there is
a lot more space to move with my undergraduate Legal Studies/History teaching
at UW–Madison. I first taught HFS in spring 2014, and have taught it most years
since (e-mail me if you’d like the syllabus: mitra.sharafi@wisc.edu). It has almost
always been capped at 25 students. And for some reason (love of the True Crime
genre?), almost all of my students in this one course have been women. I
usually get 2-3 male students out of 25, and try to spread them out in small-group
discussion exercises (as much they want to cluster together). Our Legal Studies
program consists of majority female students, but my other Legal
Studies/History course (Legal Pluralism) is not as heavily skewed as this one
is.
Teaching this course has
given me a good grip on the larger scholarship on forensic science around the
world, especially in the English-speaking world from the nineteenth century
to the present. When it came time to write, this allowed me to make
comparative comments about patterns in colonial India that also existed elsewhere—or
didn’t. For instance, our class sessions on death investigation and the coroner’s
system in the Anglosphere gave me a good sense of how this medieval English
institution has migrated across the world and continues to wreak havoc on many places. In rural counties of my own state of Wisconsin, for instance,
the coroner decides whether a body should be sent to a forensic pathologist for
a post mortem exam, and they also interpret the pathologist’s report when
entering cause of death on the death certificate. The coroner is elected and needs
to have a high school diploma, but no scientific or medical training of any
kind. They are also not paid much. There were coroners in colonial India, too.
They make an occasional appearance in my book, and I’m planning a future spin-off
article on coroners in Bombay, using the larger literature I read for HFS.
Most productive of all were
our guest speakers. A series of forensic experts have come to my class over the
years, including forensic pathologists, explosive detection dogs
and their handlers, forensic botanists, and Crime Scene Investigation teams. It
took me a while to understand how much these experts *like* doing class visits.
During my early days of teaching, I invited colleagues from across my
university to do the occasional guest class. It quickly became clear that these
sessions were burdensome for my guests, so I stopped inviting them. By contrast,
many forensic experts have an outreach component to their job, so a class visit
allows them to meet this requirement. Many are also committed to raising public
awareness and to encouraging young people to go into forensic professions, some
of which (like forensic pathology) have national shortages. These experts were
very generous with their speaking and travel time, and my students loved
meeting them. Initially, I asked these speakers to give a presentation followed
by Q&A. But as our students have become more and more silent since the
pandemic, I eventually asked the speakers to prepare nothing at all. Now, they
sit on a chair at the front of the class and we do 75 minutes of pure Q&A.
I warn my students that there is nothing else on the menu, so they must come
up with questions. And usually they rise to the occasion. It’s also less work for my guests.
I learned many things from
these experts that enriched my book. For instance, these visits got me
thinking about forms of analysis that destroy the thing being analyzed (like an
autopsy, as compared to many lab tests) and what this means for replicability
and verifiability of an expert’s assessment. A second opinion is usually not
possible in some forensic fields. Seeing what knowledge my
students brought to the discussion from popular culture made me think about how
certain forms of forensic expertise are often depicted in films, shows, and podcasts
(like Crime Scene Investigation) while others are virtually unknown to the
public (like wood forensics). And meeting explosives detection dogs revealed
the overlap between firearms and explosives detection techniques, which I had failed
to grasp before. These dogs detect smokeless powder in ballistics cases, for
instance, and probably do more homicide cases involving firearms than bomb
cases (which are more rare in the US). Although guns and bombs only appear in
my book around the edges, this was useful contextual knowledge.
The peak experience was
optional and only available to my least squeamish students: our forensic
pathologist visitors invite students to observe an autopsy later. I did this,
and so do a handful of students every year. Sometimes someone faints. But mostly,
it is a very unusual experience that people find valuable and that they will
think about for years to come. This experience helped me appreciate the
challenges of death investigation in a hot and humid environment like many
parts of colonial India, particularly before the age of refrigeration.
All in all, I recommend
designing a course to get yourself in shape for your next book project.
-Mitra Sharafi
[Image: autopsy diagram from the
papers of Sir Henry Head, 1861-1940 (Wellcome Collection, public domain)]