Sunday, November 1, 2015

(Not the) Sunday Book Roundup

LHB's crack rounder-up of book reviews, Emily Prifogle, is taking an ASLH-related break this weekend.  Although this is no substitute, I want to note my Georgetown Law colleague David Cole's review of my legal history disciplinary colleague Melvin Urofsky's Dissent and the Supreme Court: Its Role in the Court's History and the Nation's Constitutional Dialogue (Knopf Doubleday) in the Washington Post.  Also noteworthy in the Post is Daniel Gross's review of Roger Lowenstein's America's Bank: The Epic Struggle to Create the Federal Reserve (Penguin Press).  (When writing about the origins of the Federal Reserve, it's hard for me not to mention James Livington's Origins of the Federal Reserve System: Money, Class, and Corporate Capitalism, 1890-1913 [Cornell, 1986]--so I just did.)  Among Gross's nice lines: "You can tell this book is a work of history, because the legislative process actually worked."  Finally, some of my Facebook friends have been commenting all week about Jane Kamensky’s review of The Witches: Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff, in the New York Times.