John Lewis Gaddis is this year's winner of the Pulitzer in Biography for George F. Kennan: An American Life.
Other finalists in History were:
- “Empires, Nations & Families: A History of the North American West, 1800-1860,” by Anne F. Hyde (University of Nebraska Press)
- “The Eleventh Day: The Full Story of 9/11 and Osama Bin Laden,” by Anthony Summers and Robbyn Swan (Ballantine Books)
- “Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America,” by Richard White (W.W. Norton & Company).
Other finalists in Biography were:
- “Love and Capital: Karl and Jenny Marx and the Birth of a Revolution,” by Mary Gabriel (Little, Brown and Company)
- “Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention,” by Manning Marable (Viking).